Here’s a simple tofu dish I’ve been making for years. Tofu is sautéed in a skillet until it becomes golden and crispy, then combined with very lightly cooked veggies. The dish is then served with a choice of sauces, depending on your inclination — either a rich peanut sauce or teriyaki marinade. This is good served with brown rice or quinoa and a colorful salad or slaw — try it with Fruity Red Coleslaw. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Sautéed Tofu with Green Veggies
Tofu is sautéed in a skillet until it becomes golden and crispy, then combined with very lightly cooked veggies. The dish is then served with a choice of sauces.Print Pin Rate Email
- Coconut-Peanut Sauceor Teriyaki Marinade
- 14- to 16- ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon olive or safflower oil
- 2 teaspoons natural granulated sugar
- 10 to 12 ounces fresh green vegetables cut into bite-sized pieces (choose 3 or so from among broccoli, asparagus, green beans, green peas, edamame, and zucchini)
- 1 cup sliced white or brown mushrooms
- 15- ounce can baby corn drained, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Grated fresh ginger dried hot red pepper flakes, or sriracha sauce to taste, optional
- Prepare the sauce of your choice and set aside.
- Cut the tofu into 8 slabs crosswise. Blot well on paper towels or clean tea towels (or use a tofu press like the handy Tofu XPress ahead of time for making the tofu nice and firm). Cut the slabs into 2 equal squares, and each square into 2 triangles.
- Combine the soy sauce, oil, and sugar in a wide skillet. Before they get too hot, add the tofu. Stir quickly to coat, then sauté over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the tofu turns golden and crisp on most sides. Remove the tofu to a plate and set aside.
- Combine the green vegetables, mushrooms, and optional baby cornin the same skillet. Add just enough water to keep the skillet moist. Cover and steam over medium heat until the vegetables are just barely tender-crisp and still bright green.
- Drain any liquid that remains in the skillet, then gently stir in the tofu. Stir in the sauce of your choice as noted in the first ingredient in the list.
- Spice the dish up with ginger, red pepper flakes, and/or ginger, if you'd like. Serve at once with the sauce of your choice.
Calories: 215kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 335mg | Potassium: 592mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1085IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are lots more easy tofu recipes.
This is a great idea with lots of room for creativity. I'll add whatever vegetables I have handy. I use a tofu press and love it.