This hearty bahn mi filling of golden scrambled tofu packed in a toasted baguette is too good to eat only for breakfast—it also makes a casual but incredible weeknight meal. Recipe from Vegan Eats World* by Terry Hope Romero. Reprinted courtesy of Da Capo Lifelong Books. Photos by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. This makes four 8-inch, overstuffed sandwiches.
Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Bahn Mi
- 1/2 pound white or brown mushrooms cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 4 scallions white and green parts divided and very thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu drained
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder or East Indian-style curry powder
- Four 6- to 8-inch crusty sandwich rolls or sliced from 2 baguettes
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Cilantro sprigs
- Thin slices of ripe tomato
- Paper-thin slices of red radish or matchsticks of daikon or jicama
- Asian garlic chili sauce such as Sriracha or sambal oelek
- Heat a wok or cast-iron skillet until nearly smoking, then sauté mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of the oil until tender and browned, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from wok.
- Wipe down the surface, and add remaining oil. Add the shallots and stir-fry until golden, about 4 minutes, then add the white parts of the scallion and the garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Crumble in the tofu, add the mushrooms, and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Whisk together vegetable broth, soy sauce, lime juice, coriander, white pepper, and curry powder and pour over tofu. Use a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula to stir-fry tofu until all of the liquid has been absorbed and tofu is golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. Tofu should be moist, but not wet.
- Add the green tops of the scallions, fry for another minute, and remove from the heat.
- Slice the rolls in half and toast if desired. Spread insides with mayo and distribute the tofu mixture evenly on the sandwiches.
- Top each sandwich with cilantro, tomato, radish, and chili sauce. Eat immediately, and over a plate … these bahn mi are messy goodness.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Vegan sandwiches and wraps
and Vegan Breakfast Recipes.
- Here are lots more easy tofu recipes.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!