Here’s a lively tempeh stir-fry with Southwestern/Mexican flavors. The tempeh absorbs a soy-lime flavor as it simmers, and is livened up with bell peppers, zucchini, cilantro, and chili peppers. Basmati or Texmati rice is a perfect accompaniment. Adapted from Stir Crazy! by Susan Jane Cheney. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- ¾ cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium natural soy sauce
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (8 oz) package tempeh, cut in half lengthwise, then into ½ inch thick strips
- 1 large or 2 medium red or yellow onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 to 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 jalapeño or serrano chile peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 medium bell pepper, any color, cut into 1½-inch strips
- 2 medium or 3 to 4 small zucchini, cut into 1½-inch strips or rounds
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced for garnish, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the stock, soy sauce, and lime juice. Stir together.
- Set a large skillet or stir-fry pan over medium heat. Add about half of the oil, ¼ cup of the stock mixture, and the tempeh. Turn up the heat and stir-fry until the tempeh is starting to brown on most sides, about 10 minutes. Pour in a bit more of the stock mixture to keep the skillet moist. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the onions and cook over medium heat until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic, chiles, and red bell peppers and continue stir-frying for two minutes more.
- Add the zucchini and tempeh and stir-fry about one minute. Add the remaining stock mixture.
- Cover and cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender and the liquid absorbed. Serve immediately (on or with hot cooked rice, as suggested in the headnote), garnished with the cilantro, and avocado if desired.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Tofu, Tempeh and Vegan Sausage Main Dishes.
- Here are more tempeh recipes.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!