Fresh corn and tomatoes are highlighted in this easy skillet stew, making it a great way to serve tofu for warm weather meals. It’s such a delightful quick dish that I’ve provided an option for using frozen corn and canned tomatoes, so that it can be enjoyed any time of year. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Stewed Tofu with Corn and Tomatoes
Fresh corn and tomatoes are highlighted in this easy skillet stew, making it a great way to serve tofu for warm weather meals.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 14- to 16- ounce tub firm or extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium diced ripe tomatoes or see Note
- 3 to 4 cups cooked fresh corn kernels from about 4 medium ears
- 4 scallions sliced
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ to ½ cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro to taste
- Dried hot pepper flakes to taste optional
- Cut the tofu into 6 slices and blot well between layers of paper towel or clean tea towels, then cut into dice.
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Sauté the tofu over medium-high heat until golden on most sides.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, scallions, and paprika. Heat gently, just until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with parsley or cilantro sprinkled over the top of individual servings.
Calories: 257kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 306mg | Potassium: 846mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 2527IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 3mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Variation: When fresh corn and tomatoes aren't available, use a 16-ounce bag organic frozen corn and a 15- to 16-ounce can diced tomatoes — try fire-roasted!
Per serving: Calories: 233 calories; Total Fat: 11g; Protein: 13 g; Carbs: 28.2g; Fiber: 5g; Sodium: 38mg sodium
- Here are lots more easy tofu recipes.
- Here are more recipes for fresh corn.
Leave a Reply