This simple recipe is all about the sauce, which absorbs into the tofu to make it remarkably flavorful. Double the recipe if you’re feeding a hungrier group, as this makes 2 to 4 moderate servings. If you’d like, serve this over steamed broccoli. Store-bought vegetable sushi rolls add a “wow” factor to the meal. Recipe adapted from Plant Power. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Super-Easy Tofu Teriyaki
This simple recipe for tofu teriyaki is all about the sauce, which absorbs into the tofu to make it remarkably flavorful.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 2 to 4
- 14- to 16- ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium natural soy sauce or tamari
- ¼ cup sake or white wine or substitute vegetable broth or water
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil optional
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or other liquid sweetener
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 to 2 cloves crushed or minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Drain the tofu and cut into 6 slabs crosswise. Blot well between pieces of paper towel or clean tea towel. If you have time and can press the tofu ahead of time in a tofu press, so much the better.
- Combine all the ingredients for the teriyaki sauce in a small container and whisk together.
- Heat ¼ cup of the teriyaki sauce in a wide skillet (make sure to whisk well before measuring). Arrange the tofu slices in a single layer. Cook over medium-high heat until the bottom is nicely browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Drizzle in ¼ cup more sauce; flip the tofu slices and brown the second side, which will likely take less time than the first, with the skillet now that much hotter.
- Serve at once. Pass the remaining sauce around to embellish individual servings.
Calories: 273kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1747mg | Potassium: 386mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 3mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are more easy, versatile tofu recipes.
Yum - this looks delicious and so easy! Thank you!