Green beans, tempeh, and bell peppers make for a tasty trio, especially when enveloped in a flavorful shiitake-miso gravy. To save time, or when fresh are out of season, use frozen organic baby green beans, available in most any natural foods store and many supermarkets. If available, do use fresh slender green beans, by all means, when they make their rare appearance at your local market. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Tempeh and Green Beans with Shiitake-Miso Gravy
Green beans, tempeh, and bell peppers make for a tasty trio, especially when enveloped in a flavorful shiitake-miso gravy.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- Shiitake-Miso Gravy
- 8- ounce package tempeh any variety
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 8 to 10 ounces fresh slender green beans tips trimmed, or 8 to 10 ounces frozen whole baby green beans, completely thawed
- Red yellow, or orange bell pepper, cut into long narrow strips
- 2 scallions green parts only, thinly sliced
- Prepare the gravy according to the recipe. Cover, and set aside.
- Cut the tempeh into ¼-thick slices crosswise, then cut these in half length to get shorter strips.
- Heat the oil and soy sauce slowly in a skillet or stir-fry pan, then add the tempeh strips and green beans, and stir gently to coat. Sauté over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the bell pepper and turn the heat to medium-high. Continue to sauté, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes longer, or until the bell pepper and green beans are tender-crisp.
- Stir in scallions. You can add the gravy now and serve straight from the pan, or transfer the tempeh and green bean mixture to a serving platter and pass the gravy around in a separate container. Either way, serve at once.
Calories: 195kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 276mg | Potassium: 384mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 451IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Per serving: Calories: 218; Total fat: 10g; Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 14g; Sodium: 555mg
- Here are more tempeh recipes.
Janet Peleg says
I made this dish tonight. My husband and I loved, loved, loved it!
Thank you for all the love, Janet!