Tofu Eggless "Egg" Salad is one of our favorite vegan food transformations. Made with firm tofu and vegan mayonnaise instead of hard-boiled eggs and eggy mayo, this a treat on fresh bread or stuffed into pita. You can also dollop it onto a green salad for extra protein. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Tofu Eggless “Egg" Salad
- 14- to 16- ounce tub firm tofu well drained
- 1 large stalk celery finely diced
- 1 scallion finely chopped
- ⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise or as desired
- 1 to 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard to taste
- 1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder or more, to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast optional (but highly recommended)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste see Note
- Slice the tofu into 6 slabs crosswise and blot well on paper towels or clean tea towels (or use a handy tofu pressing device). Place it in a mixing bowl, and mash well with a large fork or potato masher. Or, just crumble with clean hands.
- Add the diced celery and scallion to the tofu
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, curry powder, and optional nutritional yeast and mix well. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the tofu mixture, and stir well to combine.
- Add more vegan mayonnaise if you'd like a creamier consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add more curry, if you'd like. Serve as suggested, below.
Note: If you can find it, use Indian black salt (kala namak, which is actually pink) in place of regular salt. It adds a distinctive, egg-like flavor and aroma.
- This is delicious served in warmed pita breads with sprouts or shredded lettuce.
- Serve on fresh bread with tender lettuce leaves like Boston or Bibb, or baby spinach or baby arugula, accompanied by dill pickle spears.
- Or, omit bread altogether and serve in individual lettuce leaves (once again, Boston or Bibb are best for this), or just dolloped onto any kind of green salad.
Here are more: