Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples
A cheering winter recipe, and a great side dish for Thanksgiving, it gets its New England character from maple syrup.
Serves: 8 or more
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance, melted (or substitute olive oil,
avocado oil, or sesame oil)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- Ground cloves
- 1/2 cup apple juice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes until done but still firm. When cool enough to handle, peel them and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
Oil a deep, 1 1/2 quart baking casserole. Arrange half of the sweet potato slices on the bottom. Drizzle with half of the margarine, then half of the maple syrup. Top with the apple slices. Sprinkle lightly with the cinnamon and cloves. Repeat the layers, then pour the apple juice over the top.
Bake for 30 minutes, covered, then for another 10 minutes, uncovered. Serve at once or cover and keep warm until needed.
- Enjoy more of VegKitchen’s sweet potato recipes.
- Here are more recipes to enjoy a Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.
10 comments on “Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples”
Pingback: Thanksgiving 2011 - Page 5 - CurlTalk