Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples
A cheering fall and winter recipe, this medley of sweet potatoes and apples makes a great side dish for Thanksgiving dinner, though you need not save this easy preparation for special occasions only. Photos by Rachael Braun.
- 4 large sweet potatoes (4 to 4½ pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegan buttery spread such as Earth Balance, melted (or substitute olive oil, avocado oil, or sesame oil)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- Ground cloves
- ½ cup apple juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes until done but still firm. When cool enough to handle, peel them and cut into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Oil a deep, 1½ quart baking casserole. Arrange half of the sweet potato slices on the bottom. Drizzle with half of the buttery spread, then half of the maple syrup.
- Top with the apple slices. Sprinkle lightly with the cinnamon and cloves.
- Repeat the layers, then pour the apple juice over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, covered, then for another 10 minutes, uncovered. Serve at once or cover and keep warm until needed.