Easy Vegan Bean Burritos
These easy vegan bean burritos are delicious and filling. This recipe, featuring pinto beans, chile peppers, and vegan cheese, makes 8 burritos. A serving can be two burritos per person; or one burrito for a lighter meal with other accompaniments. Serve with salad and stoneground tortilla chips for a quick, tasty meal. If you love these burritos, you’ll enjoy more easy recipes for tortilla specialties in A Southwestern Supper. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 cups well-cooked pinto beans (from about 1 cup raw), or two 15- to 16-ounce cans, drained and rinsed
- 1 to 2 small fresh hot chile peppers, seeded and minced, or one 4-ounce can chopped mild green chiles
- 2 to 4 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Cooking liquid from the beans, or water, as needed
- 8 burrito-size (10- to 12-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup firmly packed cheddar-style non-dairy cheese
- Salsa, as desired
- Shredded lettuce for garnish
- Black olives for garnish
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until it is translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute before adding the green pepper. Continue to sauté until the onion is lightly golden.
- Add the pinto beans along with the remaining filling ingredients and enough liquid to keep the mixture moist. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- With a mashing implement, mash about half of the beans. Make sure there is enough liquid in the mixture to form a thick, saucy base. Cook, covered, for another 5 minutes.
- Spoon some the bean mixture onto the centers of each flour tortilla. Sprinkle with some grated cheese, if desired, and top with a spoonful or so of salsa. Fold two sides over the filling, then roll up snugly.
- Arrange 2 burritos on each dinner plate. Garnish with shredded lettuce and black olives. Pass around extra salsa. Serve at once.