Beet, Cucumber, and Orange Salad
If you like beets, you’ll absolutely love them combined with the crunch of cucumber and the sweetness of citrus. This salad can be enjoyed all through fresh orange season, adding color and flavor to cool-weather meals. It’s also a festive salad to add to fall and winter holiday meals.
- 2 large or 3 medium beets, rinsed, trimmed, and cooked or microwaved until just tender
- ½ medium cucumber, peeled, and sliced
- 2 small sweet seedless oranges, such as small clementines, sectioned
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives or scallion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint, optional
- Juice of ½ to 1 lemon (about 2 to 4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- The easiest way to cook beets is to microwave them in a covered container with about ¼ inch of water at the bottom. Start with 2 minutes per medium beet or 3 minutes per large beet, and add a minute per beet until they can be pierced through with a little resistance. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Peel the cooked beets, then cut into ½-inch dice. Combine them in a mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients. Serve at once or cover and chill before serving.
Explore more of VegKitchen’s: