This simple mixed green salad with beets and walnuts makes a delicious light yet filling meal. Marinated beets add plenty of flavor to this winter salad, and the walnuts add a satisfying crunch!
If you've been craving a big, fresh salad - this is just the recipe you've been looking for!
This dinner-worthy mixed green salad is loaded with fresh mixed greens and hearty roasted beets for a salad that's just perfect for chilly fall and winter evenings.
This beet and mixed greens salads is:
- Packed with fresh, healthy ingredients.
- Light and refreshing.
- Hearty enough for a filling dinner.
- Loaded with flavor from the homemade dressing.
- Totally delicious.
Tips & Tricks
The roasted beets are the star of the show in the mixed green salad. But if roasting beets from scratch is too time consuming, there are a few simple shortcuts.
You can opt for pickled beets instead of freshly roasted ones. Use a 12-ounce jar of pickled beets. Drain off about ½ cup of the liquid to combine with the olive oil for the dressing.
Alternatively, you can use pre-packed steamed beets if those are available in your grocery store. You can usually find them refrigerated in the produce section.
If you love this simple vegan salad, be sure to check out these other tasty recipes:
- Mixed Green Salad with Apples, Carrots, and Beets
- Vegan Kale Salad with Orange Miso Dressing
- More Easy Beet Recipes
Green Salad with Beets and Walnuts
- 4 medium beets or see shortcut
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- 4 oz mixed baby greens or ½ head red-leaf lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced, or shaved with a vegetable peeler
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- several sprigs fresh dill leaves finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
Cook the Beets
- To roast the beets, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the top green tops off of the beets, if still attached. Scrub the beets clean. Wrap each beetroot in a piece of aluminum foil.
- Arrange the beets on a baking sheet. Roast for 45-60 minutes, until fork tender. The cook time will vary a bit based on the size of the beets.
- Remove from oven, and allow the beets to cool. Use a paper towel or clean dishcloth to rub the skins off of the beets. If the beets are fully cooked, the skin should peel away easily. Chop the beets into bite sized pieces for your salad.
- Alternatively, you can use pickled beets. See the notes section for this trick.
- Combine the vinegar, lemon juice, and maple syrup in a medium bowl. Whisk together. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the beets to the bowl with the dressing, and stir to coat them well. Let stand for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Prepare the Salad
- Assemble the salads by tossing together the mixed greens, marinated beets, and walnuts.
- Drizzle with remaining marinade for additional dressing, if desired.
Leave a Reply