This massaged kale salad is packed with healthy greens, protein rich black beans, hearty rice, and fresh veggies. All topped with a savory and sweet orange-miso dressing. It makes for a healthy lunch, side, or a deliciously light weeknight meal.
I love taking salads to the next level. Because no one likes a boring salad, right? So I do my best to keep my salads filling, flavorful and also high in protein.
That’s why I think autumn and winter are actually my favorite times of year for salads. With a kale salad like this one, you can enjoy an abundance of vegetables while using a carb-y base to make the overall dish super cozy and comforting.
Just add a simple yet delicious dressing, and that’s lunch or dinner sorted!
What I love about this particular kale salad is just how simple it is to throw together in just about 25-30 minutes (or even less if you have pre-cooked rice on hand).
I actually first came up with this dish when I had a bunch of leftover veggies in the fridge. Falling in love with the outcome, I tested it once more with a delicious orange-miso dressing - and it was perfect!
This massaged kale salad is:
- Delicious and packed full of flavor
- Vegan friendly!
- Easy to make, with simple ingredients and dressing
- Comforting and cozy
- Ideal for a weeknight dinner.
- Made from whole, minimally processed ingredients
- Versatile – add whatever other veggies you fancy!
While you're here, be sure to grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet. It's packed with all my favorite easy substitutions to vegan-ize just about any recipe!
This kale salad works really well as a side dish for Christmas and Thanksgiving, or other family get togethers.
It’s also a great make ahead or vegan meal prep recipe. And I personally love eating this as a post-workout meal!
How to Make the Salad
Start by cooking your rice according to the instructions on the packaging. This usually takes around 25-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, massage the kale for 2-3 minutes to shrink it down and soften it up. (This is where the recipe gets its name!) Then stir in the tahini and a pinch of salt.
Next, prepare the dressing by stirring together fresh orange juice, miso paste and apple cider vinegar. Add a pinch of salt, to taste.
Once the rice is ready, add it to a large mixing bowl with the black beans, kale, tomatoes, purple cabbage, cucumber and red onion.
When you’re just about ready to serve the black bean salad, stir in the dressing, transfer to serving plates and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
Experiment by adding any other vegetables you have in the fridge. Think zucchini, bell pepper, other types of lettuce or greens. They all work!
If you want the salad less sweet and more tangy, replace the orange juice with the equivalent amount of lemon or lime juice.
You can keep this black bean salad in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Although, it's best to store the dressing separate from the salad, so it doesn't get soggy.
More Recipes to Try
If you love this massaged kale salad, be sure to check out these other vegan recipes:
- Massaged Kale Salad with Cranberries and Cashews
- White Bean and Kale Skillet
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Chickpea and Kale Sandwich Spread
Massaged Kale Salad with Orange-Miso Dressing
- 1 cup white rice uncooked
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 tbsp tahini
- salt to taste
- 1 can black beans 15oz, drained and rinsed
- 8-9 vine ripened tomatoes medium, chopped
- ½ cup red cabbage chopped
- ½ large cucumber chopped
- ½ red onion medium
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp brown rice miso paste
- juice of 1 small orange
- salt to taste
- Cook the rice according to instructions on packaging. This usually takes 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, massage the kale for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the tahini.
- To make the dressing, stir together the apple cider vinegar, brown rice miso paste, orange juice and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Once the rice is cooked, stir it together with the kale, black beans, tomatoes, red cabbage, cucumber and red onion. Add the dressing immediately before serving.