Here’s a basic recipes for massaged kale salad, with lots of ways to modify it. You can toss in some slivered baby carrots, substitute another kind of nut, add a bit of thinly shredded red cabbage for extra color, or add some sliced celery or bok choy for extra crunch. Even in its simplest form, as presented here, it’s luscious, festive, and just as welcome for every day as well as holiday meals. Its colors make it especially nice for a vegan Thanksgiving or Christmas meal. Recipe adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen. Photos by Susan Voisin.
- 1 good-size bunch kale (10–12 oz), washed and dried
- olive oil, as needed
- ⅔ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup cashews, crushed and toasted
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Strip the kale leaves off the stems. Cut into ribbons and place in a large bowl. With a little olive oil rubbed into your palms, massage the kale for a minute or so, until it becomes bright green and softens a bit.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, let sit for a bit at room temperature if time allows, then serve.
Optional additions and variations
- Tiny orange sections
- Diced apple
- Diced pear
- Dried cherries or golden raisins in place of cranberries
- Toasted walnut, pecans, or pumpkin seeds in place of cashews
- Different dressing, such as a raspberry vinaigrette, in place of the mayo