Here's a basic recipe for Massaged Kale Salad with Cranberries and Cashews, along with lots of variations. You can toss in some slivered baby carrots, substitute another kind of nut, add a bit of thinly shredded red cabbage for extra color, or add some sliced celery or bok choy for extra crunch. Even in its simplest form, as presented here, it’s luscious, festive, and just as welcome for every day as well as holiday meals. Its colors make it especially nice for a vegan Thanksgiving or Christmas meal. Recipe adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen. Photos by Susan Voisin.
Massaged Kale Salad with Cranberries and Cashews
Here's a basic recipes for massaged kale salad, with lots of ways to vary it. Even in its simplest form it’s luscious and festive, and just as welcome for everyday as well as holiday meals.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 good-size bunch kale 10–12 oz, washed and dried
- olive oil as needed
- ⅔ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup cashews crushed and toasted
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Strip the kale leaves off the stems. Cut into ribbons and place in a large bowl. With a little olive oil rubbed into your palms, massage the kale for a minute or so, until it becomes bright green and softens a bit.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, let sit for a bit at room temperature if time allows, then serve.
Calories: 226kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 112mg | Potassium: 126mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 949IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Optional additions and variations
- Tiny orange sections
- Diced apple
- Diced pear
- Dried cherries or golden raisins in place of cranberries
- Toasted walnut, pecans, or pumpkin seeds in place of cashews
- Different dressing, such as a raspberry vinaigrette, in place of the mayo
- Here are more raw kale salads.
- Here are more recipes for hardy greens.
Leave a Reply