Looking for a delicious soft and jam-filled thumbprint cookie? These Vegan Thumbprint Cookies are so easy to make, taste absolutely delicious, and only require 5 simple ingredients!
These buttery soft cookies are creamy, moist, and filled with your favorite jam filling. We're talking melt-in-your-mouth tasty. You can make these cookies anytime of year, but they are especially perfect as a holiday treat!
This Vegan Thumbprint Cookies recipe is...
- Made with 5 ingredients
- Versatile (different jams)
- Great for holiday baking
How to Make Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
- Start by lining your baking sheets and preheating the oven.
- In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add in the flour and vanilla.
- Roll into balls, and press a hollow into the center of each cookie.
- Bake as directed. Press the hollow into the cookies again, then let cool.
- Fill hollows with your favorite jam.
- Serve and enjoy your cookies!
Full directions for how to make Vegan Thumbprint Cookies are in the printable recipe card below.
Tips & Tricks for Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
Use Silicone Mats
I love using silicone baking mats on my cookie sheets. They provide a non-stick surface, which means no need for cooking spray. Even better, silicone baking mats make clean up a breeze!
Get a Cookie Scoop
I always recommend using a cookie scoop. Using a cookie scoop will ensure that all your cookies are the same size so they all bake evenly. You won't have any more under- and over-baked cookies from eyeballing the size!
Indent the Center Twice
You will indent the center of your thumbprint cookies before baking them, but they will puff up a bit in the oven. Once you pull your cookies out of the oven, use the back of a spoon to indent your cookies a second time before they cool. This is important so you have room for the jam in the center.
Variations to Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
Mix Up the Filling
Try using a chocolate ganache (vegan friendly), pie filling, or any jam or jelly of your choice to fill your cookies. The choices are pretty endless! I love filling my cookies with strawberry, blueberry, or apricot jam.
Drizzle with Vegan Chocolate
For some added flavor and a pretty finish, try melting some vegan-friendly chocolate chips and drizzling them over top of your baked cookies!
Sprinkles are fun! So go ahead and add some holiday inspired sprinkles to your cookies for a fun and festive garnish.
Vegan Thumbprint Cookies FAQs
Do I need to refrigerate these cookies?
With the jam in the center, you will want to refrigerate your thumbprint cookies. Otherwise, the cookies will spoil at room temperature. Store your cookies in an air-tight container in the fridge until you're ready to eat them. They will last in the fridge up to 5 days.
Can I freeze jam-filled cookies?
These jam-filled cookies can be frozen. Layer them in a freezer-safe container, placing wax paper between each layer so the cookies don't stick together.
Can I make these cookies in advance?
If you want to make your thumbprint cookies in advance, go right ahead. I recommend only making them 24 hours in advance. Otherwise, the cookies can dry out quite a bit. Just make sure to cover them well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Which vegan butter should I use?
Any brand of vegan butter that melts well will do the trick in this recipe. I've head great luck with Earth Balance brand!
If you love these vegan thumbprint cookies, be sure to check out these other tasty ideas:
Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 ½ cups vegan butter softened
- ¾ cup sugar organic
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup jam any flavor
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until it becomes light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add in the flour, while mixing, until it is just incorporated.
- Roll the dough into 35 balls, and arrange them on the baking sheets about 1" apart.
- Use a spoon to press down on the top of the cookies,
- Press on the bowl of the spoon, making a small divot in the center of each cookie.
- Bake the thumbprint cookies for 12–15 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Immediately after baking, press the spoon into each "thumbprint" indent again, as the cookies will have likely risen back up a bit during baking.
- Cool the cookies on the cookie sheet until they are safe to handle.
- Fill each thumbprint cookie with approximately 1–1 ½ teaspoons of jam.
- Serve and enjoy!