Chickpeas and kale are a tasty team, and this combination makes a great spread for bread, a filling for pita bread or a wrap (along with some tender lettuce and sliced tomatoes), or layered scoop of it on a sturdy flatbread and served open-faced. For a nice warm weather meal, this is great served with any sort of potato salad and a simple fruit medley. This makes about 2 to 2 ½ cups. Recipe from Plant Power: Transform Your Kitchen, Plate, and Life with More Than 150 Fresh and Flavorful Vegan Recipes by Nava Atlas. ©2014, published by HarperOne, reprinted by permission. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Chickpea and Kale Sandwich Spread or Salad
- 2 medium kale leaves any variety, rinsed well
- 1 medium carrot peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups cooked or one 15- to 16-ounce can drained and rinsed chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast optional, but highly recommended
- ⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves or 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh dill leaves
- 1 to 2 scallions green parts only, cut into large pieces, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed or bottled lemon juice to taste
- ½ teaspoon curry powder or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin or more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh green sprouts optional
- Combine the kale and carrot in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until the chickpeas are evenly chopped and everything is nicely blended—don’t over-process; leave the mixture a bit chunky.
- Transfer to a serving container and serve at once, or cover and refrigerate until needed.
Variation: Use a good handful of baby spinach or arugula in place of the kale.
Nutrition information (per ½ cup serving)
Calories: 220; Total fat: 7g; Protein: 13g; Carbohydrates: 29g; Fiber: 9g; Sodium: 208mg