No-Bake Vegan Cocoa Maca-roons
These no-bake macaroons are filled with all manner of nutrient-dense goodies, including nuts, nut better, dates, and of course, coconut. Not to mention a nice dose of maca powder, which not only lends its malty flavor, but its energy-boosting benefits. If you’re unfamiliar with maca, or just want to leave it out, no problem — see the alternative following the recipe.
Makes about 18 to 20
- 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup nut butter or tahini
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates (about 8 to 10)
- 1/4 cup maca powder (or see note)
- 2 tablespoons cacao or organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, plus more for rolling
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar, to taste
Place the almonds in a food processor and process until finely ground.
Add the remaining ingredients and process until the mixture starts holding together as a mass. If it doesn’t do so after a minute or two of processing (for this depends on how moist the dates are and the density of the nut butter), add just a little water, not more than a tablespoon at a time.
Roll into 1-inch balls. Put a small amount of extra coconut on a small plate. Roll the balls in the coconut to coat. Arrange on another small plate and refrigerate for about an hour, then enjoy!
Note: If you’re unfamiliar with maca or simply don’t want to use it, omit this ingredient and substitute 1/4 cup fine oatmeal or wheat germ.
- Enjoy more No-Bake and Raw Sweets.