Papaya or Mango and Black Bean Salad
This is a delicious and refreshing salad, great anytime, and light enough for warmer weather days. I had a few ingredients around that seemed like they’d go good together so I threw this salad together and turned out really nice. I’m not really big on measurements so feel free to make adjustments based on your preferences. I brought this to a party and all my omnivore friends went crazy for it. It couldn’t be any easier to prepare and so healthy for you, nutrient dense with protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Who’d have thought, a delicious salad with no salt and no oil! Recipe and photo contributed by Sharon Nazarian from Big City Vegan.
Serves: 6 to 8
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ papaya, or 1 to 2 whole mangos, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- Juice of 1 lime, or more, to taste
- Lime wedges for garnish, optional
Combine all the ingredients in a serving bowl. Taste for lime, as that’s what really brings out the flavor of the papaya. Papaya on its own is good but adding the lime is what takes it over the top. Stir together and serve at once, or cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Here are more recipes for bean salads.