Salsa Grain-and-Bean Pilaf
If you want to dress up a simple grain-and-bean pilaf in an instant, a good-quality, prepared tomato salsa is the answer. This is truly an emergency dinner, but a hearty and healthy one, at that! Vary the type of grain and/or bean you use each time you make this, and serve it with a simple salad or coleslaw and a steamed vegetable like broccoli, or fresh corn on the cob. Adapted from The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 cup raw quinoa, bulgur, or couscous
- 15 – to 16-ounce can black, pinto, or pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tomato salsa (mild or medium-hot), or more, to taste
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dried hot red pepper flakes, sriracha sauce, or mesquite seasoning, optional
If using quinoa or bulgur, bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the grain, then cover and cook at a gentle simmer for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. If using couscous, combine it with 2 cups of boiling water in a medium saucepan; cover and allow to soak (off the heat) for 15 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
Stir the remaining ingredients into the saucepan and cook over low heat for 5 to 8 minutes, or until well heated through. Serve at once.