Green Bean and Cashew Pâté
This is a version of a recipe that circulates as “mock chopped liver,” though this doesn’t resemble or taste like chopped liver in an way. An even more traditional version of this is Passover Mock Chopped Liver, which is made with mushrooms. Really, this one isn’t mock-anything, just delicious in its own right. Serve it with any kind of cracker, or as a spread for fresh bread.
Makes: About 2 cups
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3/4 cup toasted cashews (see note)
- 1 cup steamed green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths,
or 1 cup thawed frozen cut green beans
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Sauté the onions slowly over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until nicely browned.
Combine the onions with the remaining ingredients in the container of a food processor. Process until smoothly pureed, scraping down the sides as needed. Store in a jar until needed, and bring to room temperature before serving.
Note: I like the warm flavor of toasted cashews, but if you’re into raw cashews, by all means, use them.
- Explore VegKitchen’s selection of flavorful snacks and dips.