Mock Chopped Liver (Cashew and Green Bean Pâté)
This spread resembles chopped liver in an uncanny way, but its delicious flavor will not be off-putting to those who don’t care for imitation meat flavors. Serve it with any kind of cracker, or as a spread for fresh bread.
Makes: About 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2/3 cup toasted cashews (see note)
- 1 cup steamed green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths,
or 1 cup thawed frozen cut green beans
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Sauté the onions slowly over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until nicely browned.
Combine the onions with the remaining ingredients in the container of a food processor. Process until smoothly pureed, scraping down the sides as needed. Store in a jar until needed, and bring to room temperature before serving.
Note: I like the added flavor given by the toasted cashews, but if you’re into raw cashews, by all means, use them.
- Explore VegKitchen’s selection of flavorful snacks and dips.