Sweet and Savory Nuts and Pretzels
This tasty mix featuring pretzels, nuts, and dried cranberries in a sweet and savory glaze is an easy snack to make for the winter holiday season. It’s also good for munching on while watching movies or sports. This makes about 5 cups. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, to taste
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 to 2 teaspoons BBQ spice or mesquite seasoning (see note)
- 2 cups shelled dry-roasted unsalted nuts (a mixture of peanuts, cashews, and almonds is good, or just start with mixed nuts)
- 3 cups small pretzels, preferably whole grain and salt-free
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees, F.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir or whisk well to combine.
- Stir in the nuts and pretzels and toss quickly to coat them evenly. Spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the coating is fairly dry.
- Let cool, then break apart any sections that have clumped together.
- Stir in the cranberries, then transfer to a couple of serving bowls, or store in containers at room temperature until needed.
Note: Find these seasonings among the BBQ blends in the spice section of supermarkets and natural foods stores. If you can’t find it, use 1 teaspoon chili powder.