“Seashells in the Sand” (Quinoa and Seashell Noodle Pilaf)
Here’s a simple combo of tiny seashell pasta and high-protein quinoa. I’m not usually one for “cute” recipe names, but both the name and the presentation worked wonders to tempt my kids to learn to love whole grains. Serve with a simple bean dish and a colorful salad for an easy meal. Photos by Rachael Braun.
- 1 cup quinoa (regular or red, though red looks prettier!)
- 1 vegan bouillon cube or 1 tablespoon mixed seasoning blend (like Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- 1 cup tiny shell pasta (see Note)
- 1 1 /2 to 2 tablespoons Earth Balance, or fragrant nut or olive oil
- Salt or seasoned salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup minced fresh herbs (try a combination of parsley, dill, and scallion)
- Combine the quinoa with 2 cup water and the bouillon cube or seasoning blend in a small saucepan. Bring to a slow boil, then turn the heat down and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a separate saucepan until al dente, then drain.
- Combine the cooked grain and pasta in a serving container. Stir in the Earth Balance or oil until melted, then season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the fresh herbs or pass them around in a small bowl to top individual portions.
Note: Use Ancient Harvest quinoa shells if you need to make this gluten-free.