Seitan and Broccoli Stir-Fry
This easy vegetable stir-fry featuring broccoli and carrots, showcases seitan’s unique flavor and texture. Serve with hot cooked brown rice or Asian noodles, along with one of the many tasty options in A Slew of Slaws.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or other neutral vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 large broccoli crowns, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds seitan or Homemade Seitan, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh or jarred ginger, or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon natural granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup broth from seitan, vegetable broth, or water
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot or organic cornstarch
Heat the oil plus 2 tablespoons water (or broth from the seitan) in a stir-fry pan or large skillet. Add the garlic, broccoli, and carrots. Turn the heat to medium-high and stir fry for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the broccoli is bright green.
Add the remaining ingredients and continue to stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until everything is sizzling hot. Add a small amount of additional water or seitan broth to the pan if it gets dry.
In a small container or cup, use a little of the broth or water to dissolve the arrowroot or cornstarch. Pour the rest of the broth or water into the pan, followed by the dissolved arrowroot. Continue to cook until the liquid has thickened, then remove from the heat.
Serve at once on its own or over hot cooked rice or noodles as suggested in the headnote. Pass around additional soy sauce for seasoning individual portions.
Variation: Add dried hot red pepper flakes, chili oil, or Sriracha sauce to taste to make this a spicier dish.
Calories: 260; Total fat: 7g; Protein: 40g; Fiber: 1.4g; Carbs: 10g; Sodium: 289 mg
Here are more: