Tender asparagus is a welcome sign of spring, and Thai seasonings—including lemongrass, if you can find some—provide a wonderful way to enjoy them. Celebrate spring by making this recipe for Thai-seasoned asparagus. This healthy stir-fry is vegan, so it's a snack or appetizer that everyone can enjoy! Pro tip: Peel the lower part of the asparagus stalks before slicing if the skin is thick and tough. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Vegan Thai Asparagus Stir-Fry
- 1 tbsp peanut or other vegetable oil
- 4 large scallions, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp fresh lemongrass, thinly sliced
- dried red chiles, minced or ground, to taste
- 1 lb asparagus, sliced on a diagonal, stalks and tips kept separate
- 3–4 tbsp vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp shoyu or natural soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, minced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- Set a wok or stir-fry pan over high heat. Add the oil and swirl it to coat the inside of the pan.
- Add the scallions and stir-fry briefly. Add the ginger, lemongrass, and chiles and continue stir-frying, gradually adding the asparagus, sliced stalks first.
- Add stock, a tablespoon at a time, and stir-fry until the asparagus is tender but still bright green. Add the lime juice, shoyu, mint, and fresh cilantro. Toss well. Taste and add salt if needed. Serve immediately.