Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
A longtime favorite in our family of broccoli enthusiasts, this soup gets a thick, creamy base from pureed white beans or tofu. The addition of green peas at the end of cooking time brightens the color and heightens the flavor of the soup. This is great served with many kinds of wraps or sandwiches, or with a colorful main dish salad such as Taco Salad. Recipe from Plant Power: Transform Your Kitchen, Plate, and Life with More Than 150 Fresh and Flavorful Vegan Recipes by Nava Atlas. ©2014, published by HarperOne, reprinted by permission. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable broth or water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 32-ounce carton low-sodium vegetable broth or 4 cups water mixed with
2 to 3 teaspoons salt-free all-purpose seasoning blend (such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- 5 to 6 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets and peeled stems
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- One 15- to 16-ounce can great northern beans or cannellini,
drained and rinsed, or one 12.3-ounce package firm silken tofu
- 1 cup unsweetened rice milk or other unsweetened nondairy milk, plus more as needed
To finish the soup:
- 2 cups finely chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill or parsley, or a combination, plus more for garnish
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, or 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil, broth, or water in a soup pot and add the onion. Sauté over medium heat until translucent, then add the garlic if desired. Continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
Add the broth and broccoli. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently until the broccoli is tender but not overcooked, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the beans or tofu and half the green peas. Continue to cook just until everything is nicely heated through.
The easiest way to puree this soup is to simply insert an immersion blender into the pot and puree until it’s as smooth as you’d like it to be. You can also leave it a bit chunky. If you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer the mixture to a regular blender and puree (don’t overprocess!), then transfer back to the soup pot. Add enough nondairy milk to give the soup a medium-thick consistency.
To finish the soup, add the remaining green peas, the finely chopped broccoli florets, the chopped herbs, and the lemon juice. Stir together, then season with salt and pepper. Cook over very low heat for 5 minutes longer, or until the finely chopped broccoli florets are tender-crisp, then serve.
Per serving: Calories: 262 with oil, 232 without oil; Total fat: 5g with oil, 2g without oil; Protein: 12g; Carbohydrates: 44g; Fiber: 13g; Sodium: 302mg