A satisfying soup that gets its golden-orange color from sweet potatoes and carrots, this will warm you throughout the fall and winter.
I'm completely in love with this chunky sweet potato soup! It's loaded with healthy flavor from hearty sweet potatoes, fresh veggies, and plenty of spice.
Served in a generous bowl, it can be a main dish, completed simply with salad and fresh bread. Served in smaller portions, it's a nice way to start a vegan Thanksgiving meal too.
Tips, Tricks & Variations
Mix up the veggies! Feel free to swap in your own veggies of choice depending on what is in season. Cauliflower would be a great addition!
Add some spice. To up the heat factor, try adding a bit of chili powder or a sliced jalapeno to the mix.
Plant based milk. I used coconut milk for this recipe, which lends a lot of flavor. But it will work fine with any dairy free milk of your choice.
More Tasty Ideas
If you love this chunky sweet potato soup, be sure to check out my other soup and stew recipes, plus these delicious ideas:
Chunky Sweet Potato Bisque
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow or red onion chopped
- 2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into large dice, about ¾ inch
- 2 large or 3 to 4 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 15- to 16- ounce can diced tomatoes try fire-roasted
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt-free all-purpose seasoning such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon dried basil or oregano
- 15- to 16- ounce can chickpeas or large white beans cannellini or Great Northern, drained and rinsed
- 1 to 2 cups unsweetened nondairy milk very good with unsweetened coconut milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Minced fresh parsley or cilantro for topping as desired
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until golden.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, and enough water to barely cover the vegetables.
- Bring to a slow boil, then stir in the tomatoes, bay leaves and seasonings. Simmer gently, covered, until the sweet potatoes and carrots are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- If using an immersion blender, add the beans and blend about half of the ingredients in the pot, giving the soup a chunky texture.
- If using a food processor, transfer about half of the solid ingredients into the container, along with half of the beans and a little of the cooking liquid, then return to the soup pot.
- Add enough nondairy milk to give the soup a slightly thick consistency. Season with salt and pepper, then return to the heat and simmer over very low heat for 10 minutes longer.
- Serve at once, or let stand off the heat for an hour or two before serving, then heat through as needed. Top individual servings with parsley or cilantro, if desired.