Our Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is so delicious that it'll convert any meat lover! It's bursting with flavor thanks to the real, wholesome ingredients in it like onions, celery, and the perfect combination of spices. This chili is full of flavor and will impress even the most demanding crowd.
This plant-based meal is hearty, filling, and fantastic. With seasonings like chili powder, oregano, and cumin, you know this chili is going to be delicious. Not only does it taste fantastic, but it also smells AMAZING—we’re not kidding! Your neighbors will want to come for dinner when you cook up this chili.
If you're on the lookout for some other hearty, vegetarian dinner ideas, consider trying a few of our favorites:
This Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili recipe is...
- Full of flavor
- Packed with smoky heat
- Good enough to impress a crowd
How to Make Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, celery and cook until soft.
- Add seasonings and cook for a few more minutes.
- Stir in remaining veggies and vegetable broth.
- Bring chili to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft.
Full directions for how to make Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Tips & Tricks Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
The Large Pot
If you don’t already have a good quality cookware set with a large pot, then maybe now is the time to invest in one. Good quality cookware makes a big difference! One of our personal favorites is Jacob Bromwell Classic American Cookware. If you need help choosing some excellent cookware, we wrote about it here—How To Choose the Best Healthy Cookware—packed with tips and excellent information!
Of course, this chili is fantastic on its own, but if you're craving a tasty side dish to pair it with, we have some great ideas:
Variations to Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
Adjust the Heat
Adjust the amount of chili powder and cumin to make this chili exactly how you like it. Add less or more for a more mild or more spicy taste. You can also swap the chili tomatoes for garden or Roma tomatoes to turn the heat down a notch.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili FAQs
Can I double this recipe?
You can, and you should, double this recipe! This chili makes a terrific lunch for the next day. Double it to put a batch in the freezer for up to four months. It's tasty enough that even your littles will love it for lunch. To send it for lunch simply boil water and pour it into your Thermos. Then dump out the water and scoop in some warm chili. (The hot water will heat the walls so they keep the chili warm for longer.) Voila—an easy lunch idea that is YUMMY!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 stalk celery minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups black beans 1 can, rinsed and drained
- 18 oz diced tomatoes with chilies 1 can
- 1 ½ cups sweet potato about 1 large or 2 medium; diced small
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup veggie broth
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat then add onion, garlic, and celery.
- Cook until veggies start to soften, about 4–5 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cumin, paprika, and salt and cook an additional 1–2 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, diced tomatoes, sweet potato, corn, and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 45 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.