The peppery flavor of watercress provides a delightful contrast to the sweetness of summer corn in this delicious cold soup. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
Cream of Corn and Watercress Soup
The peppery flavor of watercress provides a delightful contrast to the sweetness of summer corn in this delicious cold soup. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.Print Pin Email
Servings: 2 servings
- 6 medium ears fresh sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups chopped watercress leaves and stems
- 2 cups rice milk or as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves or more to taste
- Cook the corn in plenty of rapidly simmering water until the kernels are just tender, then remove the corn with tongs and reserve the cooking water. When the corn is cool enough to handle, scrape the kernels off the cobs with a sharp knife. Set the kernels aside.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onions and garlic and sauté over medium-low heat until golden.
- Add the potatoes and 4 cups of the cooking liquid from the corn, and bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add half of the watercress. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes longer, then remove from the heat.
- Set aside a cup of the corn kernels and add the rest to the soup. With a slotted spoon, transfer the solid ingredients from the soup to the food processor or blender and puree until smooth, then return to the soup pot. Or, simply insert an immersion blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the reserved corn kernels and watercress along with enough rice milk to give the soup a slightly thick consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Let the soup cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled. Top each serving with a sprinkling of oregano leaves.
Calories: 469kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 124mg | Potassium: 1220mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 1142IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 161mg | Iron: 3mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.