Pureed silken tofu is a superb base for creamy soups, such as this vegan creamy corn chowder. It provides substance without the need for thickening. The mild, familiar flavors will entice kids of all ages to enjoy a soothing bowl of soup. Photos by Lori Maffei.
Creamy Corn Chowder
Pureed silken tofu is a superb base for creamy soups, such as this vegan creamy corn chowder.Print Pin Rate Email
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 large celery stalk diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium-large potatoes peeled and finely diced
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground cumin to taste
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 3 cups cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 12.3- ounce package soft or firm silken tofu well pureed in a food processor or blender
- Unsweetened rice milk or other nondairy milk as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and celery and sauté over medium heat until golden.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, bouillon cube, and cumin, plus just enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in the corn kernels and pureed tofu. Add just enough rice milk to give the soup a medium-thick consistency. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for another 10 minutes over very low heat.
- If time allows, let the soup stand off the heat for an hour or so before serving, then heat through as needed. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 402mg | Potassium: 613mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3441IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Per serving: Calories: 166; Total fat: 4 g; Protein: 6g; Fiber: 3.8 g; Carbs: 28g; Sodium: 105mg
- Here are lots more easy tofu recipes.
- Here are more recipes for fresh corn.
- Try some of VegKitchen’s other Soulful Soups.
This was delicious! My kids and husband really liked it...will definitely make this recipe again.
Doris Vaughn says
This is a delightful recipe, but the list of ingredients doesn't include bay leaves. The instructions do. How many do you recommend, one or two? The creaminess of this soup is more satisfying than any vegan soup I have made before.
Hi Doris — I'm glad you're enjoying this soup! I think my intention was to take the bay leaves out of the recipe altogether. You can certainly add 1 or 2 next time you make this, but it's not necessary. I tried to correct the instruction, but the back end of the site is being stubborn — I'll revisit in the next few days and see if I can make that fix.