Mapo Tofu is one of the easiest Chinese dishes to throw together, even when you’re too tired to cook. Since it’s a stew instead of a stir-fry, you don’t have to concentrate the entire time. It’s full of flavor, with ginger, mushrooms and tofu in a spicy red sauce. Recipe and photo reprinted with permission from The Easy Vegan Cookbook by Kathy Hester ©2015, published by Page Street Publishing.
Mapo Tofu is one of the easiest Chinese dishes to throw together, even when you’re too tired to cook.Print Pin Rate Email
- 8 ounces mushrooms cleaned, stemmed, and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup water or broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 heaping tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- ½ to 1 tablespoon sriracha to taste
- 12.3- ounce package firm silken tofu diced
- 1 cup frozen thawed peas or chopped broccoli
- Cooked brown rice for serving
- Combine the mushrooms and garlic in a large saucepan and dry sauté over medium heat until the mushrooms cook down, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the water or broth, tomato paste, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, agave nectar, and sriracha.
- Bring to a slow boil.
- Add the tofu and peas or broccoli and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook until the veggies are tender, about 10 minutes, and serve over steamed brown rice.
Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 653mg | Potassium: 585mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 463IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
TIP: You can make this in a 4-quart (4-L) slow cooker by adding everything but the broccoli or peas, then cooking on low 8 to 9 hours. When you get home, add the veggies and cook another 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.
- Here are more easy and versatile tofu recipes.
Good and very easy to throw together.