This colorful kale dish featuring fennel, cranberries, and walnuts makes a lovely Thanksgiving side dish, but you need not wait for a special occasion to enjoy it. Recipe contributed by Ellen Kanner. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Festive Kale with Fennel, Cranberries, and Walnuts
- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 lbs kale roughly 8 cups, packed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Remove stalks and fronds from fennel. Chop fennel bulb into bite-sized cubes and pieces.
- Remove stems from the kale leaves, and cut the kale into bite-sized pieces or strips. You can discard the stems, or slice them very thinly and use as well.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add chopped fennel to pot and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Add kale by the handful, stirring gently until wilted, but still bright green, about 8 minutes. Stir in sherry, pepper flakes and cranberries.
- Spread walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast for 10 minutes in a 350°F oven or toaster oven until golden brown and fragrant. Or, you can toast them on a dry skillet over medium heat. Let the walnuts cool briefly, then stir into the fennel and kale mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl, and serve.