This colorful kale and fennel salad is packed with delicious flavor from cranberries, walnuts, and a homemade sherry dressing. It's simple to make and vegan-friendly too.
This delicious kale and fennel salad makes a wonderful vegan side dish for the holidays. But it makes a year-round appearance in our home because it's just so simple and delicious!
This kale and fennel salad is:
- Packed with fresh, healthy ingredients.
- Loaded with flavorful dried cranberries.
- Topped with crunchy toasted walnuts.
- Easy to make in just 30 minutes!
Recipe contributed by Ellen Kanner, who writes the Meatless Monday column for The Huffington Post. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Kale and Fennel Salad with Cranberries and Walnuts
- Remove stalks and fronds from fennel. Chop fennel bulb into bite-sized cubes and pieces.
- Remove stems from the kale leaves, and cut the kale into bite-sized pieces or strips. You can discard the stems, or slice them very thinly and use as well.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add chopped fennel to pot and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Add kale by the handful, stirring gently until wilted, but still bright green, about 8 minutes. Stir in sherry, pepper flakes and cranberries.
- Spread walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast for 10 minutes in a 350°F oven or toaster oven until golden brown and fragrant. Or, you can toast them on a dry skillet over medium heat. Let the walnuts cool briefly, then stir into the fennel and kale mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl, and serve.