For your summer barbecue pleasure, grilled pineapple makes a heavenly foil for the assertive flavor of the hoisin-marinated tempeh and green beans. If there was ever a dish that captured the essence of vegan BBQ bliss, this would be it! Adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen.*
Serves: 6 to 8
- ½ cup hoisin sauce (see Note)
- ⅓ cup fruit juice (preferably orange, mango, or pineapple)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or other healthy vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh or jarred ginger, to taste
- 1 recipe Grilled Pineapple
- Two 10-ounce packages tempeh, any variety
- 10 to 12 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into ½ inch strips
Prepare the grill.
Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl and whisk together. Set aside until needed.
Grill the pineapple according to the recipe. When done, arrange the grilled pineapple slices around the perimeter of a large serving platter, leaving an opening in the center.
Slice the tempeh into ½-inch strips crosswise. Combine in a mixing bowl with enough marinade to coat. Spread the tempeh in a single layer on the grill. If using anything other than an electric grill, use a grill basket. Grill for 10 minutes total, stirring the tempeh occasionally until nicely charred here and there. Arrange in half of the open circle surrounded by pineapple.
Combine the green beans and bell pepper in the mixing bowl; add enough marinade to coat and toss gently. Spread in a single layer on the grill; likewise, if using anything other than an electric grill, use a grill basket. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes total, until nicely charred here and there. Arrange in the other half circle surrounded by the pineapple.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Pass around additional marinade for individual servings.
Note: Hoisin sauce is a delicious sweet-and-pungent condiment available in the Asian foods section of supermarkets.
Variation: Feel free to substitute or add tofu or seitan for the tempeh.
- Here are more tempeh recipes.
- Find more recipes for grilling in VegKitchen’s The Vegan Barbecue.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!