When the weather is cool, I find I need to find ways to entice myself to eat salads. One way that seems to do the trick is to add a warm or hot element to cool greens. This sizzling salad features tofu that’s been cooked in tasty teriyaki sauce. Edamame (fresh green soybeans) and cashews add even more protein and a lot of flavor. For me, this is a winter favorite! Photos by Evan Atlas.
Hot-and-Cool Tofu Teriyaki Salad
This sizzling salad features tofu that’s been cooked in tasty teriyaki sauce. Edamame (fresh green soybeans) and cashews add even more protein and a lot of flavor.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 14- to 16- ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce homemade or purchased, plus more for salad
- Mixed baby greens as needed
- 1 cup or so cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cup cooked shelled edamame fresh green soybeans
- ½ cup grated or sliced carrot
- ½ cup toasted cashews
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut the tofu into 6 slabs crosswise and blot very well with paper towel or a clean tea-towels. Better yet, press ahead of time in a tofu press if you own one.
- Cut each slab in half to make two squares, then cut each square on the diagonal to make two triangles. Or, just cut into dice if you prefer.
- Heat the oil and teriyaki sauce in a medium skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the tofu and cook over medium-high heat until it browns and gets a little crusty here and there, stirring often. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Line a serving platter with the greens. Scatter the tomatoes, edamame, carrot, and cashews over the greens, then drizzle with vinegar. Grind some pepper over the surface.
- At the last minute, scatter the tofu over the salad. Serve at once; pass around extra teriyaki sauce for individual servings (I know, it sounds odd to put teriyaki sauce on salad, but in this case, it works!).
Calories: 252kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 772mg | Potassium: 601mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2855IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 4mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are more super savory salads.
Hello Nava, do you put the 1/4 cup terriyaki sauce in the the pan at the same time with the tofu?
Thank you for all your delicious recipes.
Hi Shirley — yikes, I left out that bit of info, so thanks for spotting it. It goes into the pan at the same time as the oil, but it can just as easily go in at the same time as the tofu. I clarified the instructions, and it should update on the site in a while. I'm glad you're enjoying the recipes!