These Stovetop Tofu Skewers are sure to be a new barbecue favorite. They are super easy to make and totally vegan-friendly!
Serving tofu and veggies kebab-style is festive, but firing up the grill, marinating the ingredients, and soaking the bamboo skewers (so they don't catch fire) can be time-consuming. Not to mention, most people don't own a stovetop grill. This shortcut method circumvents all those steps and is made right on an ordinary griddle!
How to Make Stovetop Tofu Skewers
- Blot and dice tofu.
- Place tofu and veggies on skewers.
- Wrap skewer ends with aluminum foil.
- Mix marinade together.
- Heat marinade in pan on stove and add skewers.
- Cook skewers both sides until golden brown spots.
- Continue until all skewers have been cooked.
Full directions for how to make Stovetop Tofu Skewers are in the printable recipe card below.
Stovetop Tofu Skewers FAQs
Can I use other veggies on my skewers?
One of the great things about these skewers is that they are so versatile! You can easily swap out ingredients to suit your own taste and what you have on hand. The key is just to make all of the veggie and protein pieces about the same size so they will all cook evenly.
How can I cook these skewers on the grill?
This recipe is meant to help those who don't have access to a grill, but it can easily be cooked on a grill as well. For cooking on a grill, you'll want to marinate your tofu and veggies for at least 30 miutes before grilling. Then simply cook your skewers on the grill—making sure to cook all sides—as you would.
Can I use a store-bought marinade?
If you would like to speed up the cooking process or you have another mariade that you prefer, you can easily swap out the homemade marinade for a store-bought or already prepared one. You control the flvor of your own skewers!
Here are more of VegKitchen’s Easy and Versatile Tofu Recipes.
Stovetop Tofu Skewers
- 1 tub extra-firm tofu about 16 oz
- 1 small green bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small bell pepper red, orange, or yellow; cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup tomatoes cherry or grape
- 1 cup small mushrooms baby bella or crimini
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dry wine red or white
- ½ tsp dried basil
- Cut the tofu into 4 thick slabs crosswise. Blot well between paper towels. Cut each slab into 6 large dice.
- Alternate the chunks of tofu, bell peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms on each of 8 bamboo skewers, leaving about 1 ½ inches of skewer at the bottom, and filling the entire skewer as close as possible to the top.
- Wrap the ends of the skewers with aluminum foil.
- Combine the oil, soy sauce, wine, and basil in a small bowl and stir together.
- Heat half of the mixture on a griddle (either round or square) on the stovetop.
- Arrange 4 of the skewers on the griddle with the longer wrapped skewer ends hanging off the edge. Cover skewers and heat over medium-high heat, turning frequently, for 8–10 minutes total or until the tofu and vegetables are touched with a few golden brown spots.
- Move the skewers to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining skewers.