Green olives, herbs, and seeds embellish the simple pairing of carrots and broccoli in this simple, savory salad recipe that can be downright addictive. This is the kind of salad that has good staying power, as long as you take care to cook the broccoli just until it’s barely tender-crisp and still bright green. It’s even better the next day, and is a nice little side to include in your lunch. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky of Bittersweet.
Carrot and Broccoli Salad with Green Olives
- 1 medium broccoli crown, cut into bite-sized florets (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups baby carrots, halved lengthwise if thin, quartered lengthwise if thick
- 1/2 cup small green pimento olives
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp minced fresh dill
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vinaigrette, homemade or store-bought, or as needed to moisten
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2–3 tbsp toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- Combine the broccoli florets in a skillet with a small amount of water. Cover and steam for 3 minutes or so, just until tender-crisp.
- Transfer the broccoli to a colander and refresh under cool water to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
- In a serving container, combine the broccoli with carrots and all the remaining ingredients. Toss well. Serve at once, or cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Super Savory Salads.