The added toppings on this vegan artichoke pizza —caramelized onions, red bell peppers, and basil — make it extra tasty. Serve with a big salad (add chickpeas or other beans for extra protein). Though it's filling, this pizza goes down easy, so double the recipe if you're feeding a hungry group. Though completely optional, tucking thin slices of fresh tomato between the pizza sauce and the cheese gives it a delicious summery flavor. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Pizza with Onions, Peppers, and Artichokes
The combination of toppings on this vegan pizza —caramelized onions, plus red bell peppers, artichokes, and basil — is nothing short of spectacular.Print Pin Rate Email
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut into short, narrow strips
- 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts canned, frozen, or from the supermarket's olive bar; not marinated
- 12- to 14- inch good-quality pizza crust or use Basic Pizza Dough or Gluten-Free Poured Pizza Crust
- 1 cup marinara or pizza sauce
- 3 to 4 medium tomatoes sliced about ¼ inch thick, optional
- 1 to 1 ½ cups grated mozzarella-style nondairy cheese this is great with Daiya
- Sliced fresh basil as desired
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until just turning golden.
- Add the bell pepper and continue to sauté until the onion is soft and lightly browned. Stir in the artichoke hearts and basil. Remove from heat and cover.
- Place the crust on a pan. Spread the marinara sauce on the crust, then arrange the optional tomatoes over it (this is a great thing to do when late summer tomatoes are abundant).
- Top with the cheese. Bake for 8 minutes, or until the cheese is well melted. Remove from the oven and spread the mixture from the skillet over the surface. Return to the oven for 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle on as much basil as you’d like. Let the pizza stand for a couple of minutes, then cut into 6 wedges to serve.
Calories: 1398kcal | Carbohydrates: 237g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 3221mg | Potassium: 350mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1310IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 448mg | Iron: 13mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Easy Pizza Recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pizza Dinner Recipes.
Leave a Reply