Crisp teriyaki-flavored tofu bites are perched atop nori-flecked sushi rice for an invigorating meal in a bowl. It's a lively combination of cooked and raw ingredients. Recipe originally published in January 2015 Vegetarian Times. Photo courtesy of Vegetarian Times.
Warm Sushi Rice Bowls with Tofu Teriyaki
- ¼ cup mirin rice wine, sake, or dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon natural sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 14- to 16- ounce package extra-firm tofu drained and cubed
- 1 ½ cups short-grain brown rice
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon. natural sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 sheets toasted nori cut into short strips, plus more for garnish
- 1 medium avocado pitted, peeled, and finely diced
- 2 medium carrots cut into matchsticks or coarsely grated
- ½ cucumber cut into matchsticks or coarsely grated
- Toasted sesame seeds optional
- Thinly sliced scallions optional
- To make the Tofu Teriyaki, combine all ingredients except tofu in shallow container. Add tofu, and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Meanwhile, bring the rice and 3 cups water to a boil in saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. (For a more tender grain, add ½ cup water and cook until absorbed.)
- Remove the rice from the heat and stir in the vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stir in the nori and set aside.
- Heat large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and marinade, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, turning gently, until tofu cubes are browned and crisp on most sides.
- To serve, divide the Sushi Rice among six serving bowls.
- Top with Tofu Teriyaki, avocado, carrots, and cucumber. Garnish with extra nori, sesame seeds, and optional scallions.