Vegan Carrot Walnut Muffins
Carrots and orange juice concentrate pair up in these moist vegan carrot muffins, providing a dose of vitamins A and C, as well as an enticing golden color.
Yield: 1 dozen
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ or ground flaxseeds, or half of each
- 1/4 cup natural granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 cup firmly packed grated carrot
- 3/4 cup raisins (or substitute other chopped, dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
- Maple-Cream Cheese Frosting
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the first 6 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the applesauce, juice, and oil. Stir until completely mixed. If the batter is too stiff, add a small amount of orange juice to loosen it, but let it remain a fairly stiff batter. Stir in the carrots, raisins, and optional walnuts.
Divide the batter among 12 foil- lined muffin tins. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center tests clean.
Transfer muffins to a plate or rack when cool enough to handle. When muffins are cooled to room temperature, spread frosting over the tops.
- Find lots more muffin recipes in Muffin Mania.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.