Add a tangy twist to tea time with these simple Lemon & Ginger Scones. Bursting with flavor from ginger, lemon zest, and vanilla - and they're 100% vegan too!
When my husband and I were still dating we spent a weekend and the cutest little bed and breakfast in wine country. And while they served up many delicious morsels at breakfast, the one thing that I couldn't get off my mind was the ginger scones!
So I thought I would do my best to finally re-create them here - but as a totally vegan recipe this time.
These Vegan Lemon & Ginger Scones are incredibly easy to whip up. With one bowl and just a few simple steps, you'll have a batch of warm scones ready to enjoy in no time.
These vegan scones are:
- A delicious breakfast or brunch time treat!
- Ready in just 30 minutes.
- 100% plant based
Zesting the lemon
Grate the lemon zest with a microplane for a finer consistency and to ensure the lemon's natural oils are released into the dough.
Use cold butter
Make sure you use cold vegan butter or coconut oil for maximum flakiness in the scones.
Use any plant based milk
Any non-dairy milk that you prefer will work fine in this recipe. Try almond, soy, oat, or even coconut milk.
Serving the scones!
These scones are perfect all on their own. But for a more indulgent treat, serve them up with a dollop of vegan butter, some raspberry jam, or a drizzle of vegan apple honey. Add some fresh fruit and a cup of lemon ginger tea for a full breakfast!
Make it gluten-free
This recipe is easy to make gluten free by substituting a gluten free baking flour.
Storing leftover scones
The scones will stay fresh for 3-5 days in a covered container in the refrigerator. I recommend warming them in the oven or toaster oven before serving again. You can also freeze the scones for 2-3 months.
Extra ginger! For extra ginger-y scones, sprinkle some crystalized ginger on top before baking.
Add mix-ins. Try folding some chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts into the batter for a nutty crunch. Or add dried cranberries or blueberries for a pop of sweetness.
Make a glaze. Try finishing off the scones with a drizzle of lemon glaze. Mix together powdered sugar and lemon juice until you get the desired consistency, then drizzle over the warm scones.
Orange Ginger Scones: Replace the lemon juice and lemon zest with orange juice and orange zest for an equally zesty and flavorful scone with a slightly different flavor.
Chocolate Ginger Scones: Mix ¼ cup of cocoa powder with the dry ingredients for an indulgent chocolate-ginger scone.
Chocolate Chip Scones: Add some vegan dark chocolate chips to the dough for a sweet and indulgent treat.
More Vegan Treats
If you love these Vegan Lemon Ginger Scones, be sure to check out these other delicious recipes:
Vegan Lemon Ginger Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or a gluten-free blend if preferred
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar ensure it's vegan
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup crystalized ginger chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup cold vegan butter or coconut oil
- ¾ cup plant-based milk such as almond, soy, or oat milk
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- Cut the cold vegan butter or solidified coconut oil into small pieces and use a pastry cutter or fork to blend it into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the plant-based milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and chopped crystallized ginger. Stir until just combined; do not overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently a few times to bring it together. Flatten the dough into a circle about 1 inch thick and cut into 8 wedges.
- Place the wedges on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown.
- Remove the scones from the oven and allow them to cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Serve the scones warm or at room temperature.