Peanut butter and jam fans, this vegan baked treat is for you! These comforting scones are a great, wholesome breakfast pastry, or a nice accompaniment to coffee or tea on a chilly day. Unlike classic scone recipes, the dough for this one isn’t made with butter; peanut butter makes the perfect dairy-free stand-in. Use smooth peanut butter that has a flowing rather than clumpy consistency. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Peanut Butter and Jam Scones
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour plus more as needed
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup natural granulated sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- ½ cup all-fruit jam
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the first 4 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- In another bowl, combine the applesauce, peanut butter, and oil in a smaller bowl and whisk together.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet mixture. Work together with a spoon, then with well-flour hands to form a fairly stiff dough. If need be, add a little more flour, just so that the dough isn’t too sticky, but no so much that it gets crumbly.
- Divide the dough into two parts and form into smooth rounds. On a well-floured board, roll one round out to a ¼-inch thickness.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread the jam over the surface, leaving a ½-inch border all around.
- Roll out the second round of dough and cover the first with it. Pinch the edges shut. You can even crimp them like a pie crust.
- Make shallow serrations in the dough to indicate 8 wedges, but don’t cut through to the filling.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden on top. Allow to cool until just warm, then cut the wedges all the way through to serve. Refrigerate unused portion in a tightly covered container.
- Sweet tooth still craving? See more Vegan Baking and Sweets.