Ravioli with Broccoli and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Here’s a simple pasta dish featuring ravioli and broccoli, enlivened with dried tomatoes. Look for vegan ravioli in the frozen foods section of natural foods stores. They come stuffed with tofu, spinach, or even sweet potato. This dish gives equal billing to the pasta and the veggies. Try serving this with a salad and Mediterranean Spinach with Pine Nuts and Raisins.
Serves: 3 to 4
- 10- to 12-ounce package vegan ravioli, any variety
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup good-quality sun-dried tomatoes
oil-cured or not, as you prefer, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or water
- 2 medium diced ripe tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Finely chopped parsley and/or basil for garnish, optional
- Vegan Parmesan cheese , optional
Cook the ravioli according to package directions until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet or steep-sided stir-fry pan. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the broccoli, dried tomatoes, and wine. Cover and cook until the broccoli is bright green and tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes and cook briefly, just until they’re heated through.
Combine the cooked ravioli with the broccoli mixture in a serving bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss together. Sprinkle parsley and/or basil over the top, if you’d like.
Serve at once, passing around vegan Parmesan for topping if desired.