Fruit and Vegan Yogurt Parfaits
Fruit and vegan yogurt parfait is so simple that it’s almost not a recipe at all. But it’s a real pleaser, and is welcome for breakfast as well as desserts. Layering nondairy yogurts with seasonal fruits takes almost no effort, creating a treat that looks as appealing as it tastes. It’s a real pleaser, as welcome for breakfast as well as desserts, and a good way to get kids (or the generally finicky) to eat more fruit.
- Two 6- to 8-ounce containers vanilla, lemon, or piña colada nondairy yogurt (coconut or other)
- 2 cups fresh fruit (see suggestions, following)
- Grated semi-sweet chocolate, toasted sliced almonds, or granola for topping
- Use 4 parfait dishes if you have them; if not, medium-sized glass tumblers will do. For each serving, layer ¼ cup each of yogurt and fruit in the parfait dish.
- Repeat each layer, then do the same for the other parfaits.
- Sprinkle with the topping of choice, and serve.
Fruits and Combinations for Parfaits
For four parfaits, you can generally figure on using 2 cups of fruit. Try the following combinations or come up with your own.
- Strawberries: Remove the hulls from 1 pint of very sweet, ripe strawberries and slice them.
- Strawberries and blueberries: Combine 1 cup of strawberries, hulled and sliced, with 1 cup fresh blueberries.
- Peaches or nectarines with berries: Combine 1 cup diced ripe peach or nectarine, with 1 cup of berries.
- Mango and berries or banana: Combine 1 cup diced mango with 1 cup blueberries, raspberries, or sliced strawberries, or 1 cup thinly sliced banana.