We love serving this pudding-like, fruity treat in pretty glasses or jars for a light breakfast or snack. If you want to fancy things up a bit, a dollop of coconut whipped cream is also great. Recipe and photos from The Great Vegan Protein Book by Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes. @2015, Fair Winds Press. Reprinted by permission.
Raspberry Chia Breakfast Jars
- 12 ounces frozen raspberries thawed but not drained
- 12 ounces soft silken tofu or unsweetened plain vegan yogurt
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons maple sugar or light brown sugar optional
- ¼ cup white chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces fresh berries raspberries or blueberries, rinsed and thoroughly drained
- Place the thawed raspberries in a blender or use an immersion blender to blend the berries until smooth. If you don’t like berry seeds, pass the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Add the tofu or yogurt, maple syrup, and sugar to the berries and blend again until smooth. Place into a large bowl.
- Stir the chia seeds and vanilla into the mixture. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight. Stir before serving.
- Place a few of the fresh berries at the bottom of the serving dish. (You can also stir the berries directly into the mixture, keeping a few for garnishing.)
- Divide the chia preparation on top and sprinkle with the remaining berries. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- The results will be far richer, but you could use cashew cream instead of tofu or yogurt to make this soy-free. Be sure to prepare it to the consistency of yogurt by adding extra water, if needed. it must also be super smooth.
- Adjust the quantity of extra sugar as needed. You could also simply use more maple syrup instead of (any) granulated sugar.
- Regular chia seeds are okay to use, but white chia seeds make for a prettier result.
- Here are more vegan breakfast recipes.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!