I love a good cinnamon-walnut coffee cake to serve as a snack or for breakfast, and when I need a vegan version, this recipe is the one I turn to.
Vegan Cinnamon-Walnut Crumble Coffee Cake
Makes one 9-inch cake; about 12 servings
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 ¼ tsp cinnamon, or more to taste
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup safflower oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup apple juice
Walnut Crumble Topping
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 tsp cinnamon, or more to taste
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract, or more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch square or round baking pan or a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir together.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the oil, syrup, and apple juice. Stir until completely mixed. Add a little more cinnamon if you'd like a more pronounced scent and flavor.
- Process the walnuts in a food processor until finely ground. Combine them in a small bowl with the cinnamon and vanilla and stir together. Taste, and add more cinnamon and/or vanilla if you'd like.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Top with the walnut mixture.
- Bake in the shallow pan for 30 minutes or the loaf pan for 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center tests clean. Cool until just warm, then cut into squares, wedges, or slices to serve.