Classic Tomato Gazpacho
I’ve been serving this rendition of the classic tomato-based cold Spanish soup forever, and it never fails to please—and refresh.
- 1 pound or so lush, ripe tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 2/3 large cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2/3 large green or red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 scallions, cut into several pieces
- Handful of parsley sprigs
- Chopped fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried dill
To finish the soup:
- 3 cups tomato juice, or as needed
- 1/3 large cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1/3 large green or red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 medium celery stalk, finely diced
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Place all the ingredients for the soup base in a food processor or blender. Puree until fairly smooth. Transfer the puree to a serving container.
Stir in enough tomato juice to give the soup a slightly thick consistency. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir together, then cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Here are more recipes for cold summer soups.
Print This Post