Simple Spinach Rice
Here’s a simple brown rice dish that incorporates lots of fresh spinach. Using organic baby spinach is convenient, because it’s already cleaned and ready to go (though I usually give it a good rinse nonetheless). Scallions, fresh dill, and lemon juice add the finishing touch. Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 cup raw brown rice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 to 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the rice with 2 1/2 cups water in a large saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop the spinach finely, either by hand or in a food processor.
Once the rice is done, add the spinach in batches, stirring in as it wilts down.
Stir the remaining ingredients into the rice and serve at once. For a nice presentation, scoop the spinach rice out of the saucepan with a lightly oiled round half-cup measure and invert onto plates, as shown in the photo, above.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.