Gingered Coconut Rice
This simple brown rice side dish is embellished with coconut milk, garlic, and ginger. It goes well with bean dishes and vegetable curries. Do try using brown Basmati or an exotic rice blend for a more aromatic and visually appealing dish.
- 2 cups water
- 15-to 16-ounce can light coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups brown, brown Basmati, or an
exotic rice blend
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grated fresh ginger, or to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the water and coconut milk in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
Stir in the rice, garlic, ginger, and cumin. Cover and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.