Olive Rice Salad
When the season for cold meals arrives, this easy grain salad can be served with a simple combination of chickpeas or black beans and tomatoes drizzled with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and fresh herbs. If you can get fresh corn yet, great, and if not, steamed broccoli or green beans work well, too.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 3/4 cup raw medium-grain brown rice (see variations)
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1/3 cup chopped black olives
- 1/3 cup chopped green olives
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded white cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, or more to taste
- Salt (you may not need any) and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the rice with 2 cups of water in a small saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Lower the heat, cover, and cook until the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork then let it cool completely.
Combine the rice with the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss together thoroughly. Serve at room temperature.
Variation: Use a more unusual variety of rice like brown Basmati, Bhutanese red rice, or forbidden black rice.
- Here are more recipes for grain salads.