Wild Rice Confetti Salad
Wild rice makes an earthy, nutty backdrop for a salad. The “confetti” in this salad are bits of corn, carrot, and other colorful veggies.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 3/4 cups raw wild rice, rinsed
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock or water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime, or more to taste
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- Zest of 1/2 orange (optional but highly recommended)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds or pine nuts, optional
Combine the wild rice with the stock in a small saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Cover and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 35 minutes.
Transfer the wild rice to a serving container. Add the lemon juice, orange juice, optional zest, and oil, and let it cool.
Add the vegetables and stir them in. Season to taste with cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir in the optional seeds or nuts and serve.
- Here are more recipes for grain salads.