Moroccan Lentil and Garbanzo Soup (Harira)
This flavor-packed Moroccan soup is perfect for the transitional evenings of late summer, though you can enjoy it any time of year. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 large celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups diced ripe tomatoes
- 15 – to 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (slice the remainder thinly for garnish)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or substitute parsley)
- Salt to taste
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the celery and garlic and saute until the onions are golden, another 5 to 7 minutes.
Add 6 cups water along with the lentils and spices. Bring to a slow boil, then cover and simmer gently until the lentils are just tender, about 30 minutes.
Add tomatoes and chickpeas. Adjust the consistency with more water if needed, and adjust the spices to taste. Simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes over very low heat. Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro and season to taste with salt. Serve hot or just warm, garnishing each serving with one or two thin lemon slices.