Navy Bean and Green Bean Salad with Fresh Herbs
Here’s a lively, refreshing salad, perfect for picnics, potlucks, and casual company buffets.
- 8 ounces fresh green beans (see Note)
- 15- to 16-ounce can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium Kirby cucumber (see Note), thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup minceed fresh parsley, or more, to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil, or more, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives or scallion, or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dark green lettuce leaves or mixed baby greens
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
Trim the tips from the green beans and cut them in half; steam until tender-crisp, then rinse under cool water. Combine with remaining ingredients, except the last two, and toss gently.
Line a serving bowl with lettuce leaves, then pour in the salad. Arrange some cherry tomato halves in a circle around the edge. Cover and refrigerate until needed or serve at once.
- Kirby cukes are the small, firm type used for pickling. Substitute 1/2 medium cucumber if unavailable.
- If good, fresh green beans are unavailabe, use frozen organic green beans.